My mission is to build healthy communities. Through this site, I can share with you my thoughts, priorities and information about policies and actions I am working on or what I have accomplished with a great deal of support and input from members of my community. It is important to me to stay connected with the people I serve regardless of where we all stand on issues important to us.
As your District 1 Supervisor elected to my third term, I have listened to constituents, done my homework and followed through on promises. I’m proud of work I’ve done to protect the health and environment of this County and its residents and have brought closure to the San Rafael Rock Quarry, used tobacco funds to spear-head a new Health and Wellness campus which provides comprehensive healthcare to the residents of Marin, delivered new bike and pedestrian pathways, worked with schools to build organic gardens and worked with our criminal justice teams to deliver behavioral health court programs.
Additional highlights of my three terms include the following:
- Finalized the agreement for Marin County to join Partnership Health Plan which delivers MediCal and Healthy Families Managed Care Services to qualified Marin residents.
- Building a new Emergency Operation Facility that will remain functional in the event of a major disaster.
- Added the Baylands Corridor to the new Countywide Plan, ratcheting up land use protections for St. Vincent’s/Silveira and other baylands. Plans for massive development at St. Vincent’s were threatened when I first ran and were rebuffed once I entered office. But there is still more to do to protect these and other environmentally sensitive areas in our County.
- Was instrumental in supporting Supervisor McGlashan in his efforts to launch the Marin Clean Energy Program and the ban on styrofoam and plastic bags.
- Supporting our Veterans through accessing Section 8 Housing vouchers for homeless vets, working with Veterans Administration by providing Health & Human Services programs and criminal justice programs specific to the needs of Veterans.
- Brought the Boardwalk Market to the Marinwood Plaza; the new name of the grocery store is the Marinwood Market.
- Helped bring about community shuttles in North San Rafael, bike and pedestrian pathways, and re-paving of roads for multi-use and disability access.
- Developed a nationally recognized volunteer Medical Reserve Corps.
- Worked with fire agencies to conduct vegetation clearance in the urban/wildland interface and identified funding to help CERT teams respond to emergencies.
- Received needed funding for improved creek restoration and flood control.
- Helped finalize the Marin Media Center in downtown San Rafael, available for use by all Marin residents.
I love my job and I’m proud to work for the people of Marin. While serving as your County Supervisor, I am still a nurse and an educator and my promise to you is to continue working to safeguard Marin’s environment and keep Marin a safe and healthy place in which to live.